The shaky financial footing of a large number of Indonesian airlines continues to inflict pain and inconvenience on the flying public.
Tigerair Mandala Airline’s decision to suspend service on several of their routes has evoked strong criticism from the Association of Indonesian Ticket Agents (Astindo).
Elly Hutabarat, the chairman of Astindo, told the State News Agency Antara on Saturday, February 8, 2014: “We deeply regret what’s happening Tigerair Mandala. This is not an isolated case, but has happened several time with air carriers.”
As reported by Bisnis.com, Tigerair Mandala suddenly closed eleven domestic and regional air routes starting from February until April 2014.
Passengers were left holding paid-for tickets on the suspended air routes.
Hutabarat complained that there are many airlines that have gone bankrupt and left travel agents and ticket agents with substantial losses as a result.
Hutabarat named 11 failed Indonesian airlines, including: Sempati Air, AW air, Indonesia Airlines, Bouraq, Adam Air, Kartika Airlines, Riau Airlines, Linus Air, Pacific Royal, Star Air and Batavia Air.
Complaining that many of these airlines simply closed their doors and left unpaid debts to travel agents, Hutabarat said, “hopefully, Mandala has the good faith to return 100% of tickets already paid without any cuts for administration and allows their old tickets to be used for other destinations they serve."
At this point, Mandala continues to operate but with a reduced number of air routes.
According to the Facebook page of Tigerair Mandala, the routes closed until at least April are:
- Surabaya - Hong Kong (R1 650/ 651)
- Surabaya - Kuala Lumpur (RI 742/ 743).
- Jakarta - Kuala Lumpur (RI 700/ 701) closing from February 18, 2014.
- Jakarta - Pekanbaru (RI 72/ 73) closing from February 18, 2014.
- Medan (Kuala Namu) - Singapore (RI 861/ 862) closing from February 18, 2014.
- Jakarta - Jogjakarta (RI 344/ 345) closing from March 3, 2014.
- Pekanbaru - Singapore (RI 870/ 871) closing from March 3, 2014.
- Jakarta - Singapore (RI 808/ 809) closing from March 3, 2014.
- Jakarta - Surabaya (RI 520/ 529) closing from March 17, 2014.
- Surabaya - Bangkok (RI 914/ 915) closing from March 17, 2014.
- Jakarta - Hong Kong (RI 652/ 657) closing from April 11, 2014.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.