Bali Discovery Tours: Homepage
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from balidiscovery.com
Home Bali Contact Bali Practicalities Bali News Bali Services Bali Transportation Bali Sports Bali Excursions Bali Villas Bali Hotels
Home · News · Chips Off the Old Block
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from balidiscovery.com
Bali Hotels
Bali Villas
Special Deals!
Packages
MICE Handling
Bali Excursions
Culinary - Dining
Guided Tour
Bali Spas
Bali Sports
Diving
Golf
Bali Transportation
Car Rental - Selft Drive
Private Jet Charter
Bali News
Bali Services
Bali Practicalities
Bali Contact
Bali Career
Home
 
Bali Update
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
 
PATA header
PATA Gold Award 2007
Bali Update
PATA Gold Award Winner 2007
 
Bali Contact
Bali Discovery Tours
Jln. By Pass Ida Bagus Mantra,
Jln. Pucuk 1 No. 70X
Denpasar, Bali
Indonesia

24h:
+62 (0)812 3819724
Tel:
+62 (0)361 464 032, +62 (0)361 471 0242

Bali Discovery

SITE PATA ASITA
Bali News

Chips Off the Old Block

Bali's Large Wood Carving Industry Also Affected by Business Downturn.


Bali News:
Click Image to Enlarge

(1/20/2003)

The Antara News Service reports that Bali's wood carvers require at least 400 cubic tons of wood each year to meet the world's demand for their products. Of that total only 40% can be supplied by timber sources on the island, with the remaining 60%, or 240 tons, shipped in from the neighboring islands of Java, Kalimantan and Sulawesi.

The wood products, carved by local craftsmen into artificial flowers, fruits, household accessories, and statues represent a major component in Bali's economy. Total carved wooden exports for the period January - November 2002 are estimated to equal US$ 75.2 million, an increase of 22% over the same period in 2001.

Tight raw material supplies experienced over the past years were aided, at least in part, by a Government regulation introduced in June of last year prohibiting the export of gelondongan wood to neighboring Malaysia. That regulation has had the effect of increasing the supply of wood available to Bali wood carvers.

The terror attack of October 12th dramatically reduced the number of tourists visiting the island and, in turn, the purchase of hand-carved handicrafts items. That, and the cancellation of trips by handicraft buyers to Bali, are estimated to have caused sale of wooden handicrafts in November and December to drop by nearly 80%.


© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.

       

 
Bali News by Bali Update
Subscribe to the Bali Update
Receive the latest news from Bali by email!



Our [Privacy Statement] explains how we handle the data you are providing.

 
Bali News by Bali Update
Explore the Archive of the Bali Update
Find related articles in our news archive!




or try to use Google Search :

Home · Bali Hotels · Bali Villas · Bali Excursions · Bali Sports · Bali News · Site Map · RSS

Bali News: More News
Working to Preserve and Promote Bali Arts
Bale Banjar Culture Club to Feature Peter J. Wilson and Made Sidia – World Renowned Producers of Balinese Stage Performances
(4/15/2018)
Does Bali Already Have a Second International Airport?
Editorial: A Practical Perspective on a Second Airport for Bali
(4/15/2018)
Shopping on Touchdown in Bali
New Duty Free Shopping Area for International Passengers Arriving in Bali
(4/15/2018)
Seeking Wider Horizons of Understanding
TEDxUbud Event Set to Stimulate Innovation and Creativity on Saturday, May 5, 2018
(4/15/2018)
Keeping the News Cycle Positive
Udayana Military Commander Calls on Media to ’Self-Censor’ and Avoid Controversial Reporting in Run-Up to IMF-World Bank Meeting
(4/15/2018)
Fugitives No More
Fugitive German and Indonesian Wife Captured by State Prosecutors to Start Serving Prison Sentences Handed Down in Bali Property Scam
(4/15/2018)
Enhancing the Quality of Bali Visitors
Tourism Ministry Outlines How Bali Can Attract Higher Quality Tourist Visitors
(4/15/2018)
Roll Out the Barrels
Australian Government Assisting Bali in Conquering Mounting Trash Problem
(4/15/2018)
The Rainbow Connection
Green Peace’s Rainbow Warrior Uses Bali Visit to Fight Coal-powered Electricity, Plastic Pollution and Lend Support to ForBALI’s Fight Against Reclamation of Benoa Bay
(4/15/2018)
Friday the 13th in Bali
Tourist Bus Kills One Man and Damages 6 Cars and 2 Motorcycles in Spectacular Chain-Collision Near Bali’s GWK Monument
(4/15/2018)
3-Month Sticker Visas for Vehicles Visiting Bali
Bali Government Seeking to set 3-month Limit on the Amount of Time Cars Registered Outside Bali can Spend in the Province
(4/15/2018)
Shown the Door
North Bali Immigration Deports Dutch Husband and Wife for Illegally Operating Two Rental Villas
(4/15/2018)
All [News]!