In 2004, Indonesia will hold its first direct general election of a President and Vice President. The resulting more open and democratic society resulting from this process will, in the long term, promise Indonesia a more stabile and open society. In this spirit, all the political parties have pledges to ensure that the 2004 transition to direct democracy is a largely peaceful process.
You might want to use the print option at the end of this story to track important dates in the various steps of Indonesia's direct election of its next President and Vice-President:
• 5 April 2004 Election of Representatives to the House of Representatives (DPR), Regional Parliaments (DPD), and Regional House of Representatives (DPRD).
• 21 – 28 April 2004 Nation-wide announcement of the results of the DPR, DPD and DPRD elections.
• 29 – 30 April 2004 Allocation of seats in the DPR, DPD and DPRD.
• 1 – 7 May 2004 Registration of Presidential/Vice Presidential Candidates to the National Election Commission (KPU) by the political parties.
• 19 May 2004 Finalization and announcement of the appearance order on the ballot for Presidential/Vice-Presidential Candidates.
• 1 June 2004 - 1 July 2004 Authorized Campaign Period.
• 2 – 4 July 2004 Cooling Off Period. No Campaigning Permitted.
• 5 July 2004 First Round of Presidential/Vice-Presidential Election Process.
• 26 July 2004 Nation-wide announcement of the results of the first round of Presidential/Vice-Presidential Election Process.
• 30 July 2004 – 05 August 2004 Nation-wide announcement of 2 sets of Presidential and Vice-Presidential Candidates for the Second and final-round vote.
• 14 – 16 September 2004 Campaign
• 20 September 2004 Second round of Voting in the Presidential/Vice-Presidential Elections.
• 05 October 2004 Formal nation-wide announcement of the winners of the Presidential/Vice-Presidential Election.
• 20 October 2004 The inauguration of the President and Vice-President.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.