In historical first direct election of an Indonesian President and Vice-President the Nation went to the polls on Monday, July 5, 2004.
While no candidate managed to garner the 51% share of votes necessary to be declared the outright winner, the field was instantly narrowed from 5 sets of candidates to just the 2 sets who will contest the run-off elections scheduled for Monday, September 20, 2004.
While official results won't be announced until later in July, it now appears a virtual certainty that the pairing of Susilo Bambang Yudyoyono – Jusuf Kala, who came in as top vote-getters, will face off against their nearest contender, President Megawati Soekarnoputri and her running-mate Hasyim Muzadi.
Bali Votes for Megawati
Although the President and her Vice-Presidential pairing only managed to come in second-place nation-wide, Bali, which has long been a Megawati stronghold, continue to champion the President giving her nearly 56% of all the votes cast on the island.
Dates to Watch
In the run up to the election of Indonesia's next president, here's the dates to watch:
• 26 July 2004 - Nation-wide announcement of the results of the first round of Presidential/Vice-Presidential Election Process.
• 30 July 2004 – 05 August 2004 Nation-wide formal announcement of 2 sets of Presidential and Vice-Presidential Candidates for the Second and final-round vote.
• 20 September 2004 - Second round of Voting in the Presidential/Vice-Presidential Elections.
• 05 October 2004 - Formal nation-wide announcement of the winners of the Presidential/Vice-Presidential Election.
• 20 October 2004 - The inauguration of the President and Vice-President.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.