On Thursday, January 27, 2005, an electrical panel located in the basement of the Inna Grand Bali Beach created smoke and momentary panic for the staff and guest, but no injuries at one of Bali's longest established hotel properties.
While the hotel's internal fire brigade was able to quickly bring any flames under control, lingering smoke billowing onto upper floors of the hotel brought the local Fire Brigade to the scene 30 minutes after the initial report of the fire. In all, 6 fire trucks from Denpasar and one from the Badung station responded to the alarm.
Firemen, when they arrived at the scene, needed to don oxygen masks to penetrate the thick blanket of smoke in the basement area.
The fire, which started at 12:00 noon caused an interruption in electrical service to the hotel. However, power was fully restored by 2:45 p.m..
Fire damage was reportedly limited to the basement area near the faulty electrical panel with limited smoke damage to the upper floors of the Hotel's garden wing.
Memories of 1993 Recalled
Inna Grand Bali Beach, formerly known as The Grand Bali Beach, was largely destroyed by a massive fire that occurred almost 12 years ago to the date, on January 20, 1993. That fire consumed the entire main building and 10 floors of accommodation and was followed by a complete rebuilding and remodeling of the government-owned property.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.