Mr. Setyanto P. Santosa the Secretary General of the Department of Culture and Tourism, has called on the tourism sector to shift its focus away from only creating foreign exchange and striving to increase the total number of visitors and, instead, dedicate itself to job creation.
Pointing to the need to reduce widespread unemployment, Mr. Santosa said, "Tourism is not only for tour and travel companies, but also for the people who must be able to derive a living from these activities."
Calling on all tourism practicioners in the Country, he added, "We hope our friends in the tourism sector will not only think about creating foreign exchange, but will also provide direct employment opportunities for the people."
The Secretary General also provided details of the breakdown of the estimated 2,781,891 jobs currently estimated to be created by foreign tourist expenditures in Indonesia on sector by sector basis:
1. Trade 901,023 jobs
2. Land Transportation 721,784 jobs
3. Other Employment 430.470 jobs
4. Produce Production 184,644 jobs
5. Rice Production 127,063 jobs
6. Hotel & Restaurants 108,143 jobs
7. Textile & Clothing 88,604 jobs
8. Bambu & Rotan 84,390 jobs
9. Chairity Assistance 68,529 jobs
10. Sea Transportation 66,441 jobs
(Bisnis Indonesia, 21 August 2001)
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.