Vision is something most of us take for granted. If we have poor vision, we simply go to an optometrist, have an examination and get fitted for new eyeglasses. But, for many poor Balinese farmers or school children in remote villages, good vision care is a genuine luxury.
The John Fawcett Foundation/Yayasan Kemanusiaan Indonesia routinely conducts vision checks for entire rural villages in Bali. A surprisingly large percentage of people screened are identified as candidates for cataract surgery. An equally significant number of those examined suffer from impaired vision, easily corrected with a pair of eyeglasses.
The stark reality of the fact, however, is that many poor Balinese cannot afford a prescription fitting or the cost of purchasing eyeglasses. Without outside assistance, these people are destined to live in an out-of-focus world.
Recycling Used Eyeglasses
Your used eyeglasses sitting unused and unwanted in a drawer can be gauged and redistributed to a needy individual in Bali requiring the same prescription. The John Fawcett Foundation/Yayasan Kemanusiaan(YKI) have launched a drive to collect used and unwanted prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses from community members, businesses and visitors to Bali.
Sunglasses are useful in the prevention of cataracts among Balinese farmers and others who work for extended periods in an outdoor environment.
The John Fawcett Foundation
YKI is the Indonesian arm of the John Fawcett Foundation (JFF) - the Bali-based foundation funded totally by donations and grants. The Foundation conducts several programs for the health and welfare of Balinese from the lower socio-economic classes, providing medical equipment, technology transfer, medical care and local training.
The Foundation's Sight Restoration and Blindness Prevention Program includes mobile eye clinics for cataract surgery which operates across Bali and South Kalimantan. A training center for cataract surgery is also being built in Denpasar. School and mass eye screening programs are conducted in Bali as funding is available.
[ John Fawcett Foundation]
Used Eyeglass Collection Points
Overseas readers are welcome to send their used eyeglasses to:
• Bali Discovery Tours - P.O. Box 3581, Denpasar, Bali 80228 Indonesia
Locations in Bali
• Lakimen Advertising - Jalan Raya Sesetan 127/155, Sesetan
• John Fawcett Foundation - Jalan Pengembak 14, Blanjong, Sanur
• Skal International Bali Secretariat - Jalan Danau Buyan III/9, Sanur
• Bali International Medical Center - Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai, Simpang Siur
• Tropical Homes - Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai 120F, Simpang Siur
• Jenggala Ceramics - Jalan Uluwatu II, Jimbaran
• Bali Hotels Association Secretariat - Bali Dynasty Hotel, Tuban, Kuta
• Sourcing Bali - Jalan Gunung Salak 31, Kerobokan
• The Works - Jalan Muding Indah 2X, Gang Anyelir, Kerobokan
• Toko Antique/Ary's Warung - Jalan Raya Ubud, Ubud
• Warung Oliveoil - Jalan Raya Sayan, Sayan, Ubud
• Nino's Deli & Bakery - Kompleks Kolombo 24, Jalan Gejayan, Yogyakarta, Central Java
• Blue Ridge Mountains - PO Box 1614 or 1282 Norbert Lane, Pinetop, Arizona 85935, U.S.A.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.