Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
~ Margaret Mead ~
American Anthropologist, Bali expatriate 1936-1939
A charity fund-raising dinner will be held at the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah Ubud
on Saturday, March 25, 2006 in aid of the Temesi Recycling Center
in Gianyar.Temesi Recycling Center
With start-up funding provided by the Rotary Club of Ubud
, the pilot project Temesi Recycling Center
has demonstrated its ability to effectively recycle a daily load of 30 tons of waste and rubbish – an amount equal to just 15% of the total estimated waste generated by the 420,000 inhabitants of Bali's Gianyar Regency. Through careful handling, including controlling the temperature and forced aeration, noxious waste is rendered into valuable compost, anaerobic digest and silage. In fact, 90% of the waste sent to the Center is recycled leaving only a scant 10% for landfill disposal. Perhaps best of all, dangerous green house gasses are reduced significantly through the innovative waste handling procedures now underway at the Temesi
Because of the initial funding support from a local Rotary Club, the Temesi Recycling Center
has demonstrated its viability for expanded operations with efforts now underway to seek the additional US$210,000 needed to bring the project to full capacity. While negotiations are underway to secure major funding, including possible support under the Kyoto Protocols,
the Center is in immediate and quite urgent need of bridging funding to allow it to continue to operate.Your Chance to Help
To help raise the needed funds to keep the Temesi Recycling Center
operating, two of Ubud's most energetic resort managers – Liv Gussing of the Amandari Resort
and Amanda Pummer
of the ALila Ubud,
have joined forces with the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah Ubud
to organize a memorable evening of critical importance to keeping the recycling center in operation.
Commencing at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2006, a maximum of some 100 contributors will enjoy champagne and canapés before sitting down to a sumptuous 5-course gourmet dinner with select wines prepared by 4 of Bali's leading chefs from the Amandari, Alila, The Legian
and The Mozaic Restaurant.
The Rp. 975,000 ++ (approximately US$124) cost per person for the evening covers the cost of the evening's dinner and wine, and musical entertainments. During the course of the evening discrete auctions of quality services and merchandise plus prize give-aways to lucky contributors are planned.
Again, the number of seats are limited for this rarified evening of excellent dining prepared by three of Bali's leading culinary maestros. Therefore early reservations are strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud
Cocktails commence at 6:00 p.m. followed by five-course dinner with select wines.
Rp. 975,,000 ++ (approximately US$124) cost per person.
Telephone reservations can be made with Amanda Pummer at ALila Ubud
at telephone ++62-(0)361-975963 or via the e-mail link provided.
|Photos from Temesi Recycling Center (Click to Enlarge)
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.