Last week's extensive photo coverage of attractive Indonesian models parading the very latest in high-fashion beachwear from MarediModa [ Bali: Definitely Not the No Bikini Atoll] resulted in a record-setting number of "hits" on our web site and a surprising number of emails from female visitors to balidiscovery.com demanding "equal time" in the form of an article dedicated to masculine beauty.
Happy to oblige, a solution was close at hand with Bali's very own Komang Arnawa granting balidiscovery.com permission to publish photos demonstrating his reputation as one of the world's leading professional body builders.
Mr. Natural Olympia
In November 2005, Komang added to a growing list of international honors and, once again, did Bali proud when he traveled to Las Vegas, Nevada to participate in the Mr. Natural Olympia 2005 contest.
Reflecting Komang's own deeply-held commitment to drug-free athletic development, the Mr. Natural Olympia competition held each year emphasizes "natural bodybuilding" through strict screening against performance-enhancing drugs and blacklisting for life any bodybuilder proven to have violated that dictum.
Gathering up his limited funds and limitless determination, Komang decided at the last minute to enter the Nevada event where he went bicep-to-bicep with some of the most legendary names in body builder, not least of which was the remarkable ‘Big Ron Williams” of South Africa who won the title in 2004 and whose intimidating physique formed a 7-meter high backdrop to the competition platform.
Competing among the 15 finalists, Komang was perhaps the shortest contestant snapping pose after pose in a grueling routine before an exacting panel of judges and an ecstatic crowd of appreciative bodybuilding aficionados. In the end, the judges huddled and conferred, deciding that the young Balinese athlete reigned supreme in the critical areas of muscle hardness, symmetry and body definition declaring Komang the overall professional champion and the formidable, but now former-champ, "Big Ron" the runner up.
With his victory, Komang Arnawa of Bali became the first Indonesian to win the prestigious Mr. Natural Olympia crown.
Born in 1976, the 168-centimeter tall Komang Arnnawa follows an exacting exercise and dietary regimen that sees him weigh in at 82 kilogram (176 pounds) when competing and 92 kilogram (198 pounds) during off-season periods. Such is Komang's unwavering commitment to winning that with the Mr. Natural Olympia award safely in hand he decided to "splurge" at one of Las Vegas' famous buffets by indulging in a bowl of fat-free sorbet.
Obviously, this Bali boy intends to bring more future honors home to his paradise isle.
A Long List of Honors
Currently in search of a cabinet maker able to build a larger storage facility for growing collection of trophies, Komang Arnawa's impressive list of recognitions include:
• 2002 Indonesian Pesta Raga Championship First place among a competitive field of Indonesia's best 14 body builders.
• 2003 Western Australia State Championship - Competing for the first time internationally, Komang won best overall champion in the International Federation of Body Builders West Australia State Body Building Championship and additional medals for best chest, arms and legs.
• 2003 Australian National Championships Representing Western Australia in the National finals for bodybuilding, Komang was named Australia's under 80 kilogram champion and the "best body" from among 15 competitors representing Australia's best bodybuilding athletes.
• 2004 World Championships - Traveling to the U.S.A. at the Musclemania Pro World Championships, Komang defended his nickname as "Bali's Gentle Giant" winning the overall professional title just weeks before his 28th birthday, making him one of the youngest champions in history.
• 2005 Mr. Natural Olympia - Overall professional champion in the event held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
What's Next for Komang
Focused and committed to excel in all he does and leave a lasting legacy for his island and his sport, Komang fits his own program of relentless training in with a busy schedule of private personal training for his Bali clients wishing to improve their fitness and benefit from the Balinese champion's comprehensive knowledge of nutrition and physical training.
The holder of a black-belt in martial arts acquired before he embarked on his current body-building career, the mild-mannered Komang inspires Bali visitors familiar with his reputation to think twice before kicking sand at the next local lad they encounter sunbathing on Kuta beach.
Komang Arnawa: a name to watch for in the years to come.
|Photos from Komang Arnawa (Click to Enlarge)
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.