As reported in TBSC-Strategic Communication's Indonesian Digest, the ASEAN Tourism Investment Forum (ATIF) will be held in Bali September 20-22, 2007. Organized back to back with the PATA Travel Mart, the Forum will be followed by the ASEAN Task Force Meeting before the commencement of the PATA Travel Mart September 25-28, 2007.
"The strategic importance of the tourism industry to support sustainable socio-economic growth of ASEAN Member States and the diversity in cultures, economy, and the complementary advantages across the region, will benefit tourism development in ASEAN in the pursuit of improved regional quality of life, peace and prosperity", says an ATIF brochure.
Despite having faced a number of drawbacks, ASEAN tourism has continued to grow at an impressive rate. ASEAN as a region is determined to look ahead and to build on its competitive advantages which entails new investments both in 'soft' as well as 'hard' tourism infrastructure, as well as improving existing tourism attractions, products and destinations.
The goals of the ASEAN Investment Forum are:
1. Raise awareness of investment opportunities in the tourism sector in ASEAN countries among the national and international investment community - banks, investment companies, and international financial institutions.
2. Promote potentials intra-regional tourism investment among ASEAN countries.
3. Give practical advice and assistance to tourism regions and destinations in ASEAN countries seeking investment from the international investment community on how to best prepare and present their investment proposals.
4. Hold a "Tourism Investment Opportunities" Expo to publicize to investors, media and delegates the many opportunities to invest in the tourism sector in Indonesia and ASEAN countries.
ATIF will be attended by NTO members, investors, governors & regional government representative, destination manager, related sectors, ministry of culture and Tourism, media, associations, academician, consultants, bankers and NGOs.
Among those slated to speak at the conference are:
• Mr. Jero Wacik, Minister of Culture and Tourism, Republic of Indonesia.
• Mr. Aburizal Bakri, Coordinating Minister for People's Welfare, Republic of Indonesia
• Mr. Sambudjo Parikesit, Director General of Tourism Development, Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Republic of Indonesia
• Mrs. Sasithara Pichaichannarong, Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Kingdom of Thailand
• Mr. Anthony Davis, President & CEO of Tiger Airways Ltd. (Singapore)
• Mr. Sapta Nirwandar, Secretary General, Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Republic of Indonesia
• Mr. Muhammad Lufti, head of the Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM), Republic of Indonesia on the "Challenges of Harmonizing National & Local Investment Regulations"
• Mr. John M. Daniels, President Director Bali Discovery Tours (Indonesia) on "Cruise Industry: Ultimate Cross-Border ASEAN Tourism Investment."
• Dr. Tresita D. Del Rosario, Capacity Development Expert, Asian Development Bank (Thailand) on "Capacity Development for Tourism Investment Promotion."
• Mr. Alfredo Perdiguero, Senior Economist of the Social Sector Division, Asian Development Bank (Philippines) on "ASEAN Partners – Leveraging Investment Opportunities Across Boarders: The Great Mekong Sub-region Case Study."
• Y. Bhg. Datuk Dr. Victor Wee Eng Lye, Secretary General, Minister of Tourism (Malaysia) on "Domestic versus Foreign Investment: Plusses and Minuses."
• Mr. Rusdi Kirana, President Director, Lion Air (Indonesia) on "Low-Cost Carriers: Drivers of Future ASEAN Tourism Investment Opportunities."
• Mr. Pamelia Lee, Managing Director, Singapore Tourism Promotion Board on "One Stop Shopping: Putting Together the Perfect Investor Friendly Investment Office."
• Dr. Milagros Espina, Chair of the Tourism Committee of the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Philippines) on "Challenges of Dealing with Local Communities in Tourism Development."
• Mr. James Murray, executive Vice President South and Southeast Asia, Visa International Asia Pacific (Singapore) on "Top Ten Smart Tips from the Investment Community for Destinations Seeking Investments."
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.