Points of contention have emerged in recent discussions over the expansion of Bali's Ngurah Rai International airport led by a deputy for the economy from the vice-president's office, Tirta Hidayat, and conducted at the Badung Regency government office on Monday, February 7, 2011. As reported by Bali Post, problems have emerged over the exchange of space occupied in the current facility by government agencies and the new space to be assigned them in the revamped airport. Unable to come to a consensus, the meeting adjourned with no agreement in hand between the government agencies and the airport's managers - PT Angkasa Pura I.
The problem of exchanging space allocations from the "old" airport to the "new" airport, once renovations are completed, revolve mainly around points of contention among the different government agencies residing at the airport, such as the Immigration, and the Customs and Excise Departments. The immigration department is unable to reach an agreement on the size to be accorded for their renovated premises. Immigration officials have asked the airport's management, PT Angkasa Pura I for one-thousand square meters of office space, while the airport managers are only prepared to grant 600 square meters.
Similarly, the Customs and Excise office is seeking an expansion of space in the renovated facility, claiming the current space allotment is "not representative" and out of step with their desire to serve the public. The head of the airport's customs office, Made Wijaya, said more space is also need to accommodate planned increases in staffing levels for Customs and Excise operations. At the very least, Wijaya is seeking at least the same amount of space in the renovated facility as his department currently enjoys.
The allocation of space at the renovated airport has been the subject of repeated meeting between airport managers and the government agencies concerned without a resolution acceptable to all parties being achieved. Tirta Hidayat of the vice-president's office has called on senior officials from all concerned parties to become involved in the discussion and resolve the problem to avoid any potential delays to the airport's expansion plans.
After the February 7th meeting recessed for lunch, Tirta Hidayat and Badung's regent, A.A. Gde Agung, assured the press that a deal had been worked out. Hidayat told the press, "In the meeting 95% of the problem was sorted out, the remaining 5% was completed at the lunch table."
The expansion of the Ngurah Rai International Airport is scheduled to begin in March 2011. The project director, Sri Unon Setyowati, has told the press that the project will be done in four phases. The first phase begins in March 2011 and will address access roads, temporary parking and coordinated building structures. Phase one is scheduled for completion in January 2012. Phase two covers renovation work on the domestic terminal, an expansion of the apron, and creation of a tollgate – all of which are targeted for completion in the first quarter of 2013. The third phase of the airport, dealing with screening systems renovation, will begin in May 2011 for completion by April 2013.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.