Ubud – the colorful and lively arts center of Bali – is home to innumerable art galleries, tempting shopping venues and a wide range of interesting eateries.
To help Bali visitors find their way among the restaurants, cafes and warungs of Ubud, the Guardian (UK) has created a useful list of ["The Top 10 Places to Eat in Ubud Bali"].
The list compiled by The Guardian's John Brunton includes:
· Warung Ibu Oka – an Ubud institution for those in search of the Balinese culinary stalwart of Babi Guling or roast suckling pig . Located at Jalan Tegal in Ubud telephone +62-(0)361-976435
· Puteri Minang - no visit to Indonesia is complete without including a stop at a Padang Restaurant serving the spicy dishes of West Sumatra. Be sure to try the succulent rendang - beef simmered for hours in chilies, coconut and other spices. Located on Jalan Raya Ubud No. 77 in Ubud. Telephone +62-(0)361-975577.
· Bebek Bengil, also know the Dirty Duck Diner, is the place to sample Balinese smoked duck - Bebek Tutu. Located on Jalan Hanoman in Ubud. Telephone +62-(0)361-875489.
· Café Lotus - now with branches in various locales, the original Café Lotus sits on the grounds a Balinese temple which explains the absence of beef on the menu. Located on Jalan Raya Ubud, telephone +62-(0)361-975660.
· Ibu Rai - Known for an eclectic and delicious collection of Asian dishes this gem is on Monkey Forest Road in Ubud. Telephone +62-(0)361-973472.
· Warung Rai Pasti - Great views of the nearby rice fields, delicious and very affordable Balinese cuisine is the specialty here. Located on Monkey Forest Road. Telephone +62-(0)361-970908.
· Naughty Nuri's - The place locals go for steaks, ribs and chops – all grilled on a street side grill. Nuri's true devotees come for the dry martini's poured at your table to form a perfect meniscus or, if your dining for two, a menisci. Best bring a driver and a GPS for the trip home from Jalan Raya Sanggingan, Ubud. Telephone +62-(0)361-977547.
· Warung Nasi Be Tutu - Simple, inexpensive and absolutely genuine Balinese food from a very simple corner in the lower level of Ubud's busy market. Come early in the morning because when the food's sold they close. The table's bare usually by 11 am.
· Mozaic Gastronomique - Chris Salans' masterpiece of a restaurant is located in a quiet garden. Chef-owner Chris Salans' food is not be out of place in any of the world's leading restaurant, which is where, incidentally, where Chris is often cooking as a guest celebrity chef when he's not holding court at his own award-winning restaurant on Jalan Raya Sanggingan in Ubud. Telephone ++62-(0) (0)361 975768
· Lamak Offering their take on fine dining Ubud-style incorporating lots of Asian fusion touches. Lamak also offers both good food and the option of air-conditioned dining areas for those unaccustomed to tropical climes. In the heart of Ubud on Monkey Forest Road. Telephone ++62-(0)361-973482.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.