Welcome to the Hotel Kerobokan
Baliís Kerobokan Prisonís Breakdown on Occupancy and ĎMarket Mixí
|Click Image to Enlarge
The current prisoner population for Bali’s Kerobokan prison stands at 1,056 convicts living in a facility originally constructed to house only 323 people. Overcrowding by 327% is due mainly to narcotic-related offenders and those awaiting trial on drug offenses.
More facts and figures for the Kerobokan prison from BeritaBali.com:
• Of the 1,056 people house in the prison, 361 (34%) are detained awaiting trial while the remaining 695 (66%) are convicted and serving sentences.
• There are currently 52 foreigners (5%) behind bars at the prison. 12 are awaiting trial and 40 are convicted and serving sentences.
• 9 (1%) of those housed at the prison are juveniles and 130 (12.3%) are female inmates.
• Narcotics charges are linked to 135 under detention awaiting trial and to 362 serving narcotics-related sentences. Combined, this totals 497 inmates or 47% of all those living at the prison.
• Theft cases represent 90 people under detention and 112 serving sentences. Combined theft cases constitute 19% of all inmates.
• Gambling cases account for 22 under detention and 30 under sentence for a combined 5% of all inmates.
• Homicide cases represent 3 people under detention and 37 people serving time. Combined inmates linked to murder represent 4% of those staying at the prison.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.