A team from the Ministry of Transportation and representatives from inter-island ferry operators have agreed that the tariff for riding a ferry must increase.
Their recommendation has been sent to the Indonesian Minister of Transportation, E.E. Mangindaan, in December 2011 for final approval before the final actual application of any increase in tariff.
Current estimates from the government is that only 57.73% of the actual cost of inter-island ferry operations are covered by revenues generated by passenger and vehicle traffic.
The current cost for ferry service between Ketapang – Gilimanuk (Java to Bali):
- Passenger Adult Rp. 6,000 (US$ 0.66)
- Passenger Child Rp. 5,000 (US$ 0.55)
- Motorcycle Rp. 16,000 (US$ 1.78)
- Sedan/Car Rp. 114,000 (US$ 12.67)
- Large Bus Rp. 373,000 (US$ 41.44)
The current cost for ferry service between Padang Bai and Lembar (Bali to Lombok):
- Passenger Adult Rp. 36,000 (US$ 4.00)
- Passenger Child Rp. 23,000 (US$ 2.56)
- Motorcycle Rp. 101,000 (US$ 11.22)
- Sedan/Car Rp. 659,000 (US$ 73.22)
- Large Bus Rp. 2,168,000 (US$240.89)
The price review committee has recommended a 51.67% increase in the fares between Ketapang – Gilimanuk and a 42.48% increase on the fares between Padang Bai and Lembar.
It is impossible to predict exactly what the final level of increase in tariff will be for the ferry services connection Bali with Java in the west and Lombok in the east, with the final decision on the matter in the hands of the Minister.
Meanwhile, the head of the team representing ferry operators in the price hike negotiation team told Bisnis Indonesia
that he anticipated the minimum increase will be 20%.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.