Bali Discovery Tours: Homepage
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from
Home Bali Contact Bali Practicalities Bali News Bali Services Bali Transportation Bali Sports Bali Excursions Bali Villas Bali Hotels
Home · News · An Island Most Appealing
Bali Hotels, Bali Villas and Bali News from
Bali Hotels
Bali Villas
Special Deals!
MICE Handling
Bali Excursions
Culinary - Dining
Guided Tour
Bali Spas
Bali Sports
Bali Transportation
Car Rental - Selft Drive
Private Jet Charter
Bali News
Bali Services
Bali Practicalities
Bali Contact
Bali Career
Bali Update
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
PATA header
PATA Gold Award 2007
Bali Update
PATA Gold Award Winner 2007
Bali Contact
Bali Discovery Tours
Komplek Pertokoan
Sanur Raya No. 27
Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai,
Sanur, Bali, Indonesia

++62 361 286 283

++62 361 286 284

U.S.A. Fax:(toll free)

U.K. Fax:

Australian Fax:

++62 812 3819724

Bali Discovery

Bali News

An Island Most Appealing

Bali Post Files Formal Appeals of Court Decision in Favor of Bali Governor Pastika

Bali News: Bali, Indonesia, Bali Post, Suryatin Lijaya, Governor Made Mangku Pastika, legal appeal, Tomi Winata, Soeharto, Indonesian Press Law, traditional villages, dea pakraman, Amser Simandjuntak, Tjokorda Gede Agung, Sujoko
Click Image to Enlarge


The Bali Post, via attorney Agus Sujoko and a team of lawters, formally filed an appeal on July 27, 2012, challenging the ruling in favor of Bali’s governor in his suit against Bali’s largest daily newspaper.

The team of lawyers representing the newspaper personally delivered the appeal to the Denpasar High Court.

Sujoko told the press, as reported by The Bali Post, that the basis of the appeal rested on his client’s belief that the judges ruling set aside and did not consider a number of legal facts in coming to their verdict. Among the facts cited by Sujoko was the testimony of the vice-regent of Klungkung Tjokorda Gede Agung who confirmed before the court that the governor did call for the dissolution of the traditional villages (desa pakraman).

Governor Pastika has vehemently and steadfastly denied ever making such a statement.

According to The Bali Post legal team, the governor admitted before the court that he did call for the dissolution of two traditional villages should the two warring communities continued in their open state of conflict.

A member of the newspaper’s legal team, Suryatin Lijaya, had earlier explained that the appeal is based on a misinterpretation of the facts and a misapplication of the law. He said the material presented in the appeal process would revolve around two key issues. First, the fact that the governor did call for the dissolution of the traditional villages, even though he may have only intended the two villages in conflict at the time. “In fact, this point was clarified by the plaintiff himself. Even though this was admitted (by the governor), it did not form part of the decision issued by the judicial panel chaired by Amser Simandjuntak,” explained Lijaya.

Lijaya also claimed, in the response of the plaintiff to the answer provided by the defendant (The Bali Post) the governor freely admitted calling for the dissolution. “Only the defendant didn’t call for all desa pakraman to be dissolved, but only those involved in the current case. This is an admission,” said Lijaya.

Suryatin Lijaya questioned why the judges did not apply the Indonesian Press Law in the case. He said from a legal viewpoint there were already two prominent cases available to the court as a basis for comparison: the case of the family of former president Soeharto against TIME Magazine and another case in which businessman Tomi Winata sued Tempo Magazine. Both cases are still being reviewed before the courts, but in both instances the right of response to press reports was given priority.

It is Lijaya’s opinion that it is premature to decide that the press has broken the law if the right of response has yet to be exercised by the plaintiff. He went on to say that if the press preserved the right to respond, it cannot be said that they have violated the law. He bemoaned the fact that the governor failed to exercise his right of response, choosing instead to file a civil suit.

© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to


Bali News by Bali Update
Subscribe to the Bali Update
Receive the latest news from Bali by email!

Our [Privacy Statement] explains how we handle the data you are providing.

Bali News by Bali Update
Explore the Archive of the Bali Update
Find related articles in our news archive!

or try to use Google Search :

Home · Bali Hotels · Bali Villas · Bali Excursions · Bali Sports · Bali News · Site Map · RSS

Bali News: More News
Bali's Best Dining and Bars
Baliís Best Restaurants, Bars, And Cafes 2015 Crowned
Pray for Rain
Extended Drought Threatens Severe Water Shortage in Kuta and Other Areas of Bali
Double Bladed Consequence
Italian Tourist Goes berserk and Attacks Warung Owner with a Knife in Sanur Bali
A Night at the Museum
Baliís Arma Museum Named the Nationís Best Privately Owned Museum
Keeping Ahead of the Wave
New Tsunami Early Warning System Tower at Kedungu Brings to 9 the Total Number of Tsunami Warning Towers in Bali.
Needed: Stroke of Good Luck
New Kuta Golf Course 8th Anniversary October 10-11, 2015
A Ban on Reclamation?
Maritime Affairs Minister Announces Plans for a Moratorium on Reclamation of Seashores Nationwide
Liberalizing Indonesiaís Cruise Sector
Foreign Flagged Cruise Ships Allowed to Carry Domestic Passengers
Dogs Tied to a Poll
Bali Post Conducts Public Opinion Survey on Governmentís Response to the Rabies Crisis
Everything on your Plate
Police and provincial Authorities Warn that Motor Vehicles Staying More than 3 Months in Bali Must Convert to Local Police License Plates
Pearls of Wisdom
Pearls of North Bali and the Women Who Fashion Them at Living Lobby Art Exhibition Masters Showcase at Conrad Bali Resort Through January 10, 2015
When Kids Communicate and Collaborate
Global Issues Network Conference in Bali October 16-18, 2015
All [News]!