A degree of relief was provided by August 2012 foreign tourist arrivals to Bali, which improved 1.27% month-on-month after declining in July by 6.92%. This moderate turn-around resulted from 254,020 foreign visitors coming to Bali in August.
On an aggregate basis, January – August 2012 arrivals totaled 1,882,559 - up 4.57% over the same 8-month period one year before.
The slow down in the rate-of-growth of tourist arrivals means that the year-on-year 4.57% growth achieved through the end of August seems certain to decline each month over the course of Q4 2012. As a result, Bali will most probably end the year with total arrivals very near or even slightly less than the 2.756 million visitors achieved for all of 2011.
Results by Major Markets
– After several years of continual growth the sudden movement of Australian arrivals into negative territory in August is of concern, declining 5.6% month-on-month with 65,002 visitors from Down Under.
On a cumulative basis through the month of August, arrivals from Australia are up 6.09%. Apparently the days of double-digit growth in Australian arrivals to Bali are now a thing of the past.
People’s Republic of China
– PRC arrivals in August improved 10.62% with 29,092 Mainland Chinese visitors coming to Bali.
For the first 8 months of 2012 PRC visitors are up 35.42%.
– There’s an increasingly optimistic picture emerging as Japanese arrivals are clearly on the mend. August represents the third month in 2012 in which positive growth was recorded ex-Japan after an extended period of month-after-month declining results. August saw 20,852 Japanese visitors come to Bali – an improvement of 15.49% over the same month one year before.
On a cumulative basis, Japanese arrivals are down only 1.6% for the period January – August 2012. And, if the current trend of improving arrivals continues over the coming four months Japan will record positive growth for the year.
– After seeing Malaysian arrival surge 63.9% in July, arrivals from Malaysia cooled in August improving month-on-month by only 1% with 12,368 Malaysian visitors.
On a cumulative basis, Malaysian arrivals are up 6.98% through the first 8 months of 2012.
– Tourist visitors from South Korea declined month-on-month 12.8% in August with 9,735 visitors to Bali. Business ex-Korea appears troubled with July visitors also down 19.7%.
On a cumulative basis, South Korean visitors for the first eight months of 2012 are now in negative territory down 1.9%. Expect South Korean to record negative growth for the year unless a sudden resurgence from that market takes place in Quarter 4 of 2012.
– After declining month-on-month by 16.28% in July, U.K. visitors staged something of a comeback in August improving 2.1% with 11,513 visitors for the month.
On a cumulative basis, U.K. arrivals are up 6.5% for the first 8 months of 2012.
– French tourists to Bali declined month-on-month by 40.6% in July but recovered in August improving 4.8% with 18.103 French visitors. Year-on-year French visitors January – August are down 6.42%,
– Taiwan tourism to Bali remains troubled. July visitors’ ex-Taiwan to Bali declined 64.13%. In August 8.103 Taiwanese visitors to Bali represented a decline of 21.8% as compared to the same month one year before.
– U.S. visitors to Bali in August totaled 6,640 improving 3.04% over August 2011.Year-on-year U.S. visitors to Bali are up 7.23%.
Germany – Raising concerns with a decline in July of 41.18% in German visitors, August arrival improved 5.16% month-on-month with 10,962 German visitors. On a cumulative basis, January – August 2012 the German market is down 0.48%.
– Russian arrivals also dipped dramatically in July declining 33.8%. That dismal situation improved in August when Russian arrivals improved 1% month-on-month with 4,340 visitors. For the first 8 months of the year Russian arrivals are up 3.72%.
– Similarly, Dutch arrivals crawled their way back in August, Declining month-on-month 51.45% in July, that situation improved in August when Dutch arrivals declined a more modest 2.8% with 6,295 visitors. Year-on-year Dutch tourism to Bali is down 13.78% through the end of August 2012.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.