In order to reduce traffic congestion on the run-up to the APEC Conference, police will close a large number of U-turn points along Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai, beginning from Tohpati in East Denpasar to the southernmost end of the road in Nusa Dua.
Police have also said they will be increasing the height of the median divide on the road in selected areas in order to deter illegal crossings and U-turns.
The Director of Traffic at the Bali Police Headquarters, Commissioner Benone Jesaia Louhenapessy, who also serves as the chairman of the Public Transport and Road Forum for Bali, said on Friday, September 20, 2013: “This is the result of an agreement reached after a survey was conducted by the Public Transport and Road Forum. The traffic jams along this road results from too many U-turn points where vehicles stop and wait for a chance to reverse direction.”
As reported by DenPost, the survey was conducted to determine the potential for traffic jams and help identify areas prone to accidents. “The are more than ten U-turn point that were identified as excessive," said Benone.
For that reason these U-turn points along Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai have now been closed:
- The Sarbagita Bus Halte in Tohpati - Desa Kertalanggu.
- In front of Trakindo in Sanur.
- In front of the Pertamina Office.
- In front of the Indonesia Power Office in Pesanggaran.
- In front of the Garuda Office in Sanur.
- In front of Kopi Bali in Sanur.
- On the West side Instalasi Pengolah Air Limbah (IPAL) DSDP Suwung.
- In front of the Gas Station (SPBU) in Pemogan.
- Near Boshe Night Club.
- In Front of the Prudential Office.
- In front of Indo Raja Walet.
- West of the Yamaha Dealership in Nusa Duaa
Half U-Turn points (i.e. points where U-Turns are permitted only in a single direction) that will be closed:
- In front of the Gas Station (SPBU) in Serangan
- In front of Laras Bali
The median divide is being raised to deter motorcycles performing illegal U-turns are located at:
- Near the bridge as Tukad Sanur.
- Near the bridge at Tukad Loloan.
- Near the bridge at Tukad Buji.
- Near the bridge at Tukad Kuta.
A number of other measures intended to reduce traffic congestion are also being undertaken, including adding more traffic control signage and the installation of traffic lights at the Ngurah Rai Monument and the connection point for the new toll road at Nusa Dua.
If these changes to traffic patterns work well during the APEC conference police will consider making these changes permanent.
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.