To print: Click here or select File and then Print from your browser's menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 2011 - 2016 Bali Discovery Tours, All rights reserved. This message originated from http://www.balidiscovery.com/ Find it online at http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=4212 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent articles on Balidiscovery.com prompted some readers to write in and tell us what’s on their mind.
• Coverage of various steps underway to correct missteps and mistakes made by the marketing department of the Department of Culture and Tourism [See: And Deliver Us from Amateurs] caused "Ibu Mary" to write about the "Visit Indonesia 2008 - 100 Years of Nation's Awakening" campaign:
”I've seen this campaign slogan, and as an expat living in Indonesia, I had to wonder what the heck the Tourism Board was trying to promote.
You ask the question: 'are we being too finicky?'
To expect at the very least, grammatical and historical accuracy in such an important ad campaign, the answer is a big fat 'NO.'
It's atrocious the lack of basic grammatical accuracy in the advertising texts we are slaughtered with on a daily basis here. But for a government agency to allow such incompetence in a global ad campaign is just plain suicidal. Sometimes the grammatical errors in local ad copy is just funny. But tourism is serious business for Indonesia, and the ad texts, as well as the historical references, must be accurate and well-founded. The lack thereof only defeats the purpose, as it implies either a widespread stupidity or a pervasive lack of commitment to the campaign."
Counting Bali's Arrivals
• The latest installment of "Bali by the Numbers" [See: New Arrival Record to Bali Already in Hand] resulted in H. Ortman in The Netherlands writing in to say:
"(the numbers) Nothing to be proud of!
Better look for quality tourists and not for quantity. Hotels and restaurants are still complaining about the lack of income. If you watch Circle-K,(editor: a local convenience store) you can see why - low-budget tourists buy there their cookies, chips and beer instead of dining in a hotel or restaurant!"
• An avid correspondent, H. Ortman also wrote separately to express an opinion on the fast growing Russian market to Bali [See: The Russians are Coming!]:
Very foolish to promote the Russian market.
See what has happened in Turkey in the last years. Because of the misbehaving from the Russians many Turkish hotels even advertise that they do not have Russian quests!”
Stamping Out Corruption
• Coverage on the apprehension of a Balinese policeman caught on film accepting a bribe from two Canadian tourists [See: We Won't Abide Bribes] saw a reader named Frank write to say:
"It's refreshing and highly laudable to see that Bali Police move against corruption.
However, it's only a drop in the bucket and miniscule against the backdrop of Corruption practices in the rest of Indonesia. This can't be sustainable and will finally end up in chaos and disaster for Indonesia. Today trillions of dollars is skimmed off and transferred to overseas banks from Indonesia, mostly from the fruits of hard labor of the common man, 'the Rakyat.' Please refer to Alan Greenspan's book, 'The Age of Turbulence,' in which he predicts the fate of Indonesia due to these corrupt practices; because of which so many projects for the common good and improvements in Indonesia go begging."
Hot and Cold on Climate Change
• Extensive coverage on the United Nations Framework Conference on Climate Change held in Bali December 3-14, 2007 saw two writers contact balidiscovery.com to express their doubts on the reality of global warning. Canadian Fred van de Velden wrote in to say:
"I have visited your wonderful island on many occasions in the past and have stayed always at one of the Nusa Dua hotels. What is happening now is a great shot in the arm for your local economy and is good for your people. However, no matter what you hear, read or believe, man-made Global Warming is as real as the Earth being flat. There is zero empirical evidence that CO2 is the main driver of climate and the real science is drowned by loud, left wing politicians, screaming environmentalists and a former Vice President that use the opportunity to raise funds or line their pockets. Al Gore earned $100 million off this hoax, one of the largest ever pushed on mankind. The planet simply refuses to warm up. Since 1998 it has cooled, yet no newspaper report ever mentions that. Disaster is what sells papers, good news sucks.
This conference should have been held in Winnipeg, Canada where it is a balmy -35 C at the moment. No wonder they picked a location in the tropics, it's hard to talk warming when it's so cold outside that your nose freezes off the minute you step outside your 5 star hotel.”
• Greg MacDonald added his comments in a similar vein:
I can't understand that anyone really believes this total nonsense about 'global warning' - do you guys really want the world to get colder? Now that would be a problem!"
Tell Us What’s On Your Mind