To print: Click here or select File and then Print from your browser's menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 2011 - 2016 Bali Discovery Tours, All rights reserved. This message originated from http://www.balidiscovery.com/ Find it online at http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=4886 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(11/29/2008) Tickets are now available for a rare evening of vocal artistry at Sanur's Mercure Resort on Thursday, December 4, 2008, when Bali Discovery Events presents a Bali Concert for Peace.
Featuring a special appearance by a renowned international opera star – Sarah Sweeting, five Bali-based singers and a local choir will entertain with a repertoire of classical, Broadway, Christmas and Indonesian songs.
The tentative program for the evening promises music from Bizet (Habenera and Seguidilla from "Carmen"), Offenbach (Barcarolle from "Tales of Hoffman"), Franck (Panis Angelicus), Schubert (Ave Maria), Faure (The Palms – Les Rameux), Adam and Rutter ("O Holy Night"), Brooks ("O Little Town of Bethlehem"), Delibes (The Flower Duet from Lakme), Verdi ("Brindisi" from La Traviata), Rodgers and Hammerstein ("Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music), Sugiarto ("Bumiku Indonesia"), Foster and Sager ("The Prayer").
● Ida Ayu Sri Aryani Rosantiwati - "Yani Manuaba" - Born and raised in Denpasar, Yani obtained a degree in tourism and spent a decade working for a leading hotel before becoming a full-time mother. In 1988, 1990 and 1992 she was named first prize winner in the "serious voice" category at the annual Radio and TV Star Competition held by Radio Republik Indonesia. In 1992, she won the same honor in the national competition held in Jakarta. She has served as a member of the Bali jury for AFI 2004 & 2005 and in 2007 for Indonesia Idol.
She has performed as a soloist with the Bina Vokalia Bali in Melbourne (1983), Japan (1985), Sydney Opera House (1992), Romania (1993). She also performed as a soloist at a command performance for the King of Malaysia (2007).
Her vocal training has been provided by Ibu Amelia Manuaba (who is also her Mother), Andreas Sugeng, Pranawengrum Katamsi, Catherine Leimena, Nortir Simanungkalit, Naoko Kondo (Japan) and attended a vocal course in Belgium. Yani's ambition is to perform in Bali before a full orchestra.
● Ni Putu "Laksmi" Dewi -won first place in the Radio and TV Star Competition held in Bali in 1993 and 1995 in the serious voice teen category. In 1993, she won first place in the same category at the national competitions held in Jakarta. In 1995, Laksmi won first place in a contest of revolutionary songs in Jakarta. She has also sung as a soloist with the Bina Vokalia Bali in 1992 at the Sydney Opera House and Romania (1993). Employed in a local company, she confines much of her singing these days for the enjoyment of he twin sons and daughter.
● Hartanto Widagdo - "Tanto." Born and raised in Yogyakarta, Tanto now lives in Bali where he works in tourism while pursuing his singing side-career. He won first prize in the Radio and TV Star Competition in Bali in 1990, 1992 and 1996. He has also performed as a soloist with the Bina Vokalia Bali at the Sydney Opera House (1992 – 2nd Prize), Romania (1993 – First prize). This talented tenor has won numerous singing championships on both a regional and national level in Bali.
● "Dana" Septian - Born in Jakarta in 1985, he attended High School in Bali and is currently an university student in Yogyakarta. He has studied voice with Amelia Manuaba, Yani Manuaba and Albertus Wisnu. He has one first place honors in the male serious voice category in 2008 at the Radio and TV Star Competition held in Yogyakarta.
● Wijaya Kurniawan - "Jaya" Born in Malang, East Java in 1982, Jaya studied at Bali’s Udayana University. In 2002 and 2004 he participated in the Week of Student Arts in Yogyakarta and Lampung. In 2002 he performed as a soloist with the Twilite Orchestra at the Bali Memorial Concert and with the Erwin Gutawa Orchestra and the Udayana Choir at the Bali for the World Concert. In 2003 Jaya won first prize with the Udayana Choir at the Bali Matemband Competition and sang the Indonesian national anthem at the opening of the International Parliamentary Union meeting in Bali in 2007. In both 2007 and 2008 he won honors in the Bali Radio and Television Star Competition. He has studied voice with Amelia Manuaba, Yani Manuaba and Andreas Sugeng.
● Special Guest Star: Sarah Sweeting - Born in England, Sarah Sweeting studied at the London College of Music where she won the Director's Prize for Opera. She has performed as a soloist at Westminster Central Hall and on the BBC, London's West End theatres, Crystal Clear Opera, Lyric Opera Dublin, Opera Interludes, First Act Opera. London City Opera, Opera Kernow and the Holders International Musical Festival.
Sweeting has performed the title role in Carmen at the London Opera Festival. This was followed by performances at The Royal Opera, Covent Garden, and the Linbury Theatre. She then joined the Carl Rosa Opera Company.
Resident in Sydney since 2006, Sarah Sweeting has performed the roles of Prince Orlofsky in Die Fledermaus for both Opera Queensland and Co*Opera, for whom she also sang Suzuki in Madama Butterfly.
Limited Tickets Available
The performance starts at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 4, 2008. Tickets for the evening of fine vocal music are on sale at Rp. 100,000 for VIP, Rp. 50,000 for general admission, and Rp. 25,000 for students.
Tickets can be ordered by contacting Bali Discovery Tours at +62-(0)361-286283 or emailing email@example.com.
Seating is limited and early booking is recommended
The Bali Concert for Peace is made possible with the generous support of
● BIMC Hospital
● Mercure Resort, Sanur
● Bali Discovery Events