To print: Click here or select File and then Print from your browser's menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 2011 - 2016 Bali Discovery Tours, All rights reserved. This message originated from http://www.balidiscovery.com/ Find it online at http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=6137 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(7/6/2010) In an Island world famous for its wide choice of dining options, a small roadside restaurant in Tuban, South Kuta that billed itself as "homey, healthy" and serving "sexy Indonesian cuisine" peaked my interest, prompting a recent visit to "Miss Agnes 1932." on Jalan Wana Segara No. 10x.
In charge and welcoming guests is the proprietor-owner, Mr. Frederic Ferry Adiwiganda, known to hundreds twitter followers as [SuperFrederic], a well-trained international hotelier who has worked for both the Nikko and Oberoi chains, including an assignment in New Delhi, India.
Claiming lineage that is Malaysian, Manadonese and Welsh – Frederic's epicurean bents are as diverse as his genealogy. As a result, his menu is so diverse that it's hard to decide which item to choose. And, given the very low prices, I surrendered to temptation ordering a range of samplings.
Miss Agnes 1932, says Frederic, is named in honor of a grand aunt whose culinary skills are a family legend. The small restaurant, is a career oasis; a breather while he contemplates the next step in his hospitality-tourism career.
Small and tastefully decorated, Miss Agnes 1932 offers a round-Indonesian culinary tour at budget price. Here's the items offered on the menu during my recent visit:
• Bakwan Djagoeng Sambal Daboe-Daboe - Sweet corn fritters in a North Sulawesi tomato salsa Rp. 13.000
• Loenpia Semarang - a traditional favorite from the capital of Central Java, chicken and vegetable spring rolls with peanut sauce Rp. 15.000
• Siomaij Bandoeng - Indonesian style dim sums, fish and chicken 'parcels' served with peanut sauce and soya sauce Rp. 15.000,-
• Soto Ajam Koedoes - Also from Java, clear chicken soup from a candle nut and turmeric infusion served with steamed jasmine rice Rp. 15.000
• Soep Brenebon Sapi - Brown bean soup with beef and leek served with 'Tabanan' organic brown rice Rp. 15.000
• Ketoprak a la Tjiragil Batavian (Jakarta) delicacy of rice cake, rice noodle, tofu and bean sprout in a peanut dressing Rp. 13.000
• Nasi Oerap Sajoeran a plate of 'Tabanan' brown organic rice with blanched market Vegetables in a grated young coconut dressing Rp. 13.000
• Gado Gado Oeleg Djakarta - A classic dish of mix vegetable salad in peanut dressing Rp. 15.000
• Nasi Tjaptjai Sajoeran - A plate of rice with stir-fried mix vegetables of the day Rp. 15.000
• Nasi Tjampoer Aneka Penjet - A plate of rice with deep-fried Tempe bean cake, tofu, egg-plant and egg served with a spicy sambal dressing Rp. 15.000
• Lontong Kari Van Bandoeng - A classic dish of rice cake in rich chicken curry Rp. 15.000,-
• Nasi Goreng Tjabe Idjo Green Chili Fried Rice with chicken and beef meatballs Rp. 15.000
• Nasi Goreng Tek-Tek - Javanese Fried Rice in soya sauce served 'street-hawker' style Rp. 15.000
• Mie Goreng Djawa - Fried noodle with vegetables and sliced meatballs Rp. 15.00
• Miehoen Goreng - Fried rice-noodle with vegetables and beef and fish meatballs Rp. 15.000
• Nasi Tjaptjay - A plate of rice with stir-fried 'chop suey ' mixed vegetables, mushroom & meat Rp. 17.500
• Nasi Ajam Kemangi - A plate of rice with stir-fried chicken, chili and basil Rp. 17.500
• Nasi Sapi Lada Item - a plate of rice with stir-fried beef and crunchy vegetables in black pepper sauce Rp. 20.000
• Nasi Tjampoer Ajam Laos - a plate of red organic rice with fried- chicken marinated in galangal and lemongrass , a vegetable of the day in grated young coconut dressing, pickle, sambal and 'kroepoek' crackers Rp. 20.000
• Nasi Tjampoer Ikan Pesmol - a plate of red organic rice with whole fish braised in turmeric chili infusion , a vegetable of the day in grated young coconut dressing, pickle, sambal and 'kroepoek' crackers Rp. 20.000
• Nasi Tjampoer Rendang - a plate of red organic rice with the West Sumatran specialty Beef Rendang , a vegetable of the day , in grated young coconut dressing, pickle, sambal and 'kroepoek' crackers Rp. 22.000
• Iga Sapi Bakar Madoe - Beef-ribs BBQ grilled in honey and soy coat served with a bowl of spicy beef broth and a plate of 'Tabanan' brown rice Rp. 30.000
• Pisang Goreng Taboer Kedjoe deep-fried ripe banana, with honey and grated cheese dressing) Rp. 13.000
• Singkong Manis Siam - Thai Candied Cassava root, sticky, sweet and seductive. Served with a thick coconut milk dressing Rp. 13.000
• Klappertaart Young Coconut in cream & custard pudding Rp. 13.000
Excellent Food and with most items priced at US$2.00 or less, Waroeng Miss Agness 1932 is both kind to the palate and the pocketbook. Look for it just a short walk from the monument end of Jalan Wana Segara in Tuban. South Kuta.