To print: Click here or select File and then Print from your browser's menu.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2011 - 2016 Bali Discovery Tours, All rights reserved.
This message originated from http://www.balidiscovery.com/
Find it online at http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=7128
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sorry, Guv'nor

Governor Pastika Gives a Stinging Rebuke to Organizers of the 33rd Annual Bali Arts Festival.

(6/13/2011) Just two days into its month-long program, Bali's governor Made Mangku Pastika wasted no time in criticizing the failings of organizers evident in the opening ceremony of the 33rd Bali Arts Festival.

According to the Bali Post, the governor had specific issues with the lighting, sound system and the failure to presents a climactic ending to the opening ceremony.

"I admit, the lighting effects and sound system at the opening of the 33rd Bali Arts Festival, which was attended by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and the ambassadors of friendly nations on Friday, June 10, 2011, were inadequate. They weren't optimal," said the governor, while watching the opening parade on Saturday, June 11, 2011. Pastika said all the failings in the lighting system and sound system must be quickly addressed in order not to disappoint the people who have come to watch the festival.

Pastika roundly criticized the sound system at the performance venue as inadequate to the job. He thinks that the sound system should be expanded to give a greater presence to the stage. 

Pastika also leveled criticism at the Master of Ceremonies who worked the opening night, saying the announcer was stiff and overly tied to a written synopsis provided by the participating regencies and metropolises. Pastika said the MC should have spent more time in preparations, gathering information to avoid simply re-reading the prepared synopsis.

Turning his critical eye to the opening parade held the day after the opening, Pastika said the area used for the artists presentations must be secured to prevent the public from trespassing into the parade route. He also said that gamelan music should be played continuously to avoid periods of "dead air."

Bali Post interviewed spectators and members of the press corps, many of whom echoed the governor's criticisms. Photographers from the invited press complained that no special area had been set aside that provided them good photographic access to the parade. One press photographer asked what was the points of making it so difficult to obtain a press pass for the parade, when, in the end, members of the press were left standing in the areas used by the general public.

[Program of Events for 33rd Annual Bali Arts Festival]