To print: Click here or select File and then Print from your browser's menu.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2011 - 2016 Bali Discovery Tours, All rights reserved.
This message originated from http://www.balidiscovery.com/
Find it online at http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=8465
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Drinking Oneself Blind

American Backpacker Who Went on Drinking Binge in Bali Alleges Methanol Poisoning and Loss of Sight

(8/5/2012) A number of foreign news sources are reporting that an American tourist suffered poisoning that left her partially blinded after drinking local distilled liquor or arak at a Bali nightspot.

Perthnow.com reported on Friday, August 3, 2012, that the incident left the woman partially blind.

The American, said to be 19 years of age, is reported to have suffered methanol poisoning after she imbibed an estimated 8-10 glasses of free cocktails made from juice and arak at a local bar.

The woman backpacker arrived in New Zealand with symptoms of shortness of breath and, 35 hours later, sustained  a loss of vision. Paramedics in New Zealand made a diagnosis of methanol poisoning linked to the 8-10 drinks free drinks the girl consumed at an unspecified tourist bar in Bali.

The woman told New Zealand Medical officials she drank a large number of cocktails containing distilled arak made from sugar cane, coconut flower rice and poisonous and potentially lethal methanol.

The Bali police headquarters claim they have yet to receive a report on the alleged poisoning involving an American citizen that would allow them to commence a formal police investigation.