In an attempt to see how the complexion of Bali's inbound tourism is changing, this installment of Bali by the Numbers compares the general international market mix for the combined months of January and February for 2000 and 2007.Click Images to Enlarge
A side-by-side comparison of the same two month period separated by eight years shows:
• Total Arrivals increased only +15.81% over the span of 8 years. That translates into an annual average growth rate of just under 2%, far below the average growth recorded by competing destinations across the region.
• South Korea emerged from being a minor contributor to Bali arrivals in 2000 to become the fourth largest source of inbound business to the Island in 2007. On a combined basis - Japan, Australia, South Korea and Taiwan constituted 51.44% of all foreign arrivals for the period January-February 2007.
• The "Rest of Asia" grew substantially during the subject eight year period, increasing 591.04%. Chief stars among emerging new markets in Asia are Singapore, Malaysia, PRC, Hong Kong and, as of late, India.
• While steadily rebuilding strength following the October 2002 and October 2005 terrorist attacks, The Americas (comprised of both North and South American countries) still lags -40.43% behind the "better days" of 2000 for the same period of January-February.
• Europe, although less affected than the Americas, is still lagging -15.59% behind 2000 when comparing the subject two month period.
• Not shown on the charts presented here is the nearly four fold growth in domestic air passengers to Bali over the 8 year period 2000-2007, a development occasioned by the substantial increase in domestic air carriers and availability of cheap fares to Bali from other Indonesian cities.
• The growing dependence on regional markets over long-staying and higher-spending European and American guests has resulted in a "guest night" shortfalls with Asian guests visiting Bali for a shorter period of only a few days to less than one week.
Market Mix Pie January - February 2000
Market Mix Pie January - February 2006
Market Mix Pie January - February 2000 - 2006
Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced
if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.