Despite a memorandum issued by the Indonesian Ministry of Health setting a maximum charge of Rp. 900,000 for a self—ordered Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Test to detect COVID-19, there remain some hospitals and clinics in Bali’s capital city of Denpasar charging fees above the mandated maximum.
Tribun-Bali.com mentions the Kasih Ibu Hospital in Denpasar as among those persisting in charging forbidden higher rates for a PCR Swab Test. The Director of the Kasih Ibu Hospital, dr.Wayan Kesumadana Sp.OG (K-Fer) blames the higher price at his hospital on the fact that they do not yet have their own PCR Swab Test Unit.
“We perform the PCR swab test, but we are still cooperating with several clinics and other hospitals. Like the Prodia Clinic, to send the results of the swab tests,” he explained. An independently ordered PCR Swab Test from the Kasih Ibu Hospital is currently priced at Rp.2,450,000 – a price exceeding the Health Ministry’s maximum by 173%.
PCR Swab Tests from Kasih Ibu Hospital are ready within 1-2 days.
Dr. Wayan Kesumadana said the Kasih Ibu Hospital would have its own test unit in operation by Wednesday, 14 October 2020.
The independent PCR Swab Test at Kasih Ibu Hospital is currently still charged at IDR 2,450,000 with a wait of 1-2 days of taking the test results.
Kesumadana said that Kasih Ibu Hospital would have its own swab test tool targeted for operation on Wednesday (14/10/2020).
Still unexplained and leaving many scratching their heads is how the Kasih Ibu Hospital can justify an “additional surcharge” of Rp. 1,550,000 over above the maximum Rp. 900,000 they were supposedly paying a proxy clinic or hospital performing the test on their behalf.
In an earlier move, The Ministry of Health declared the maximum price for for a Rapid Test is Rp. 150,000. Tests performed at Bali’s Airport by Angkasa Pura I are available for Rp. 85,000.
There are many hospitals and clinics in Denpasar already performing the Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Test at the official rate of Rp. 900,000 set by the Ministry of Health:
1. Klinik SMC – Jalan PB Sudirman No.1A, Denpasar, Bali. The charge for the PCR Test is Rp. 900,000 – plus an administration charge of Rp. 50,000. To reserve a test appointment, telephone +62-(0) 81239008080. Test sessions are available every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 8:00 am – 10:00 am.
2. Klinik Prodia – Laboratorium Klinik Prodia at Jalan Diponegoro, Denpasar, Bali. The tariff is Rp. 900,000 per test, reduced from the previous rate of Rp. 1,800,000. Results are available in 2-3 days. Reservations can be made by telephoning +62-(0)361-261 001.
3. RSPTN Unud or the Udayana University Medical School. The tariff is Rp. 900,000 for an individually requested Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Test. Those traveling on behalf of the State and bearing written duty assignments (surat tugas) (ASN, TNI, POLRI, BUMN) are charged only Rp. 350,000. Online reservations can be made at https://registrasi-rs.unud.ac.id/
4. Rumah Sakit Bali Jimbaran- Jalan Raya Kampus UNUD, Jimbaran, Bali. The cost of a PCR Swab Test is Rp. 900,000. The previous charge was Rp. 1,555,000. Results are ready in approximately two days for tests conducted on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 12:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Reservations can be made by sending a WhatsApp to 0878-6159-9058.
5. Diagnos Lab Klinik Denpasar – Jalan Diponegoro, Denpasar, Bali. A PCR Swab Test costs Rp. 900,000. Previously the charge was Rp. 1,750,000. The test results are ready in 3-4 days. Those wishing a test can come directly to the Clinic, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Maximum Rapid Test Price Set at Rp. 150,000